Skip to content
Call Now 800-628-2904 Free Consultation


Fort Wayne Car Accident Lawyers

If you have been injured or lost a loved one in an auto accident in Fort Wayne, you may have no idea about what to do next. It can be a stressful and confusing time. That is why you should seek help from one of our experienced Fort Wayne Car Accident Lawyers who will be wholly dedicated to protecting your rights and interests.

Call A Car Accident Attorney today.
We listen. We care. We want to help.

For more than 37 years, attorney Richard Truitt has represented car accident Indiana victims and their families in Fort Wayne, Huntington and communities throughout Northeastern Indiana. His work on behalf of his clients has led to his membership in the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.

Richard Truitt, a Car Accident Lawyer Fort Wayne along with the rest of our legal team can calmly and professionally guide your case through the process that lies ahead, seek all compensation you are due and – ultimately – lift the burden off your shoulders.

Reach us by phone or through our online form. Our Fort Wayne Car Accident Lawyers can provide a free and immediate consultation and get to work your case right away.


What Steps Should You Take After an Auto Accident in Fort Wayne?

If you were recently involved in a traffic crash in Fort Wayne or nearby area, you should take care of these following steps. We base this list on what we have observed through many years of helping car accident victims in Northeastern Indiana:

Get medical attention. You may be wondering is there an auto accident doctor near me? See your regular doctor or visit the emergency room as soon as you can. You need to ensure your injuries are diagnosed and treated. Getting medical treatment also can stop the insurance company from claiming that your injuries are exaggerated or unrelated to the crash.

Gather evidence. Compile any photos you took at the accident scene and hold on to the clothes you wore. Also, keep any information you received from the other driver or contact information from eyewitnesses.

Collect and store important documents. Keep copies of all of your car repair or rental receipts, medical bills, prescriptions, insurance company letters and other documents which relate to your accident.

Get a copy of the accident report. You can check with the local law enforcement agency that responded to your crash such as the Fort Wayne Police Department or Allen County Sheriff’s Department. You can also go online and order a report through

Don’t talk with the insurance company. If you are required to report the accident to your insurance company, be sure to comply with the policy. However, do not assign or accept blame. Just give the facts. If another insurer contacts you, do not sign or give a statement. Never accept a settlement offer unless a lawyer has reviewed it first.

Write down what happened. Take a moment to write out everything you remember about the accident and how it has impacted your life. Your notes will help you to recall details, when necessary, at a later date.

Don’t wait to contact us. Above all, when you are ready to take legal action, give Truitt Law Offices lawyers for auto accidents a call. We can answer any questions you have about your rights and take immediate action to ensure those rights are protected.


How Can Our Fort Wayne Car Accident Lawyers Help You?

Car injury lawyers can help those impacted or suffering from an accident. Truitt Law Offices will provide many services to you and your family members as you move on from your auto accident. Those services can include:

Helping with repair or replacement of your car. As a preliminary matter, we can help with your proper damage claim, including working with the insurance company to get your car repaired. If your car is “totaled,” we can help you to seek fair value.

Seeking a full and fair settlement. We can present a carefully prepared settlement demand to the insurance company and advise you on any settlement offers the insurer provides. Ultimately, you will be the one to decide whether to accept the offer.

Conducting an immediate investigation. We can send a team to the crash scene and document every detail. We can also interview witnesses and obtain cell phone records, photos, camera footage, black box data and any other evidence that bears on your case.

Fighting for you in court. Although most car accident cases can be resolved through a settlement, we will be ready to go to trial on your behalf. Our legal team has many decades of combined courtroom experience. You can count on us to fight for you.

Working with experts. We can consult with knowledgeable experts in accident reconstruction, engineering, health care, life-care planning and other fields to determine how your crash occurred and the impact on your life. Our goal will be to carefully determine your case’s maximum value.

Resolving your case as quickly as possible. If we obtain a settlement or verdict on your behalf, we will get to work right away on resolving any liens that may be attached to your recovery – a health care or workers’ compensation lien, for instance – and make sure you get paid in a timely manner.

Throughout your case, we will keep you updated and return your calls. Truitt Law Offices operates on a contingency basis. This means that you will not pay a penny unless we obtain compensation for your damages.


Who Can Be Held Liable for Your Fort Wayne Auto Accident?

As we pursue maximum compensation for you, Truitt Law Offices will explore all options.
It starts with determining who should be held liable for your damages.

Driver errors cause the overwhelming majority of car accidents in Fort Wayne, Huntington and other areas of Northeastern Indiana. If the evidence in your case shows that another driver caused your crash due to careless or reckless conduct,
we can take action against that driver.

Examples of negligent driving include:

  • Speeding, tailgating or other forms of aggressive driving
  • Failing to yield the right of way at an intersection
  • Driving while impaired by drugs or alcohol
  • Distracted driving (such as talking on a cell phone or texting while driving)
  • Driving while fatigued (due to lack of sleep or as a side effect of medication).

However, in some cases, the negligent driver may not be the only party responsible for the harm you have suffered.

Other parties could include:

  • The driver’s employer if the driver was working at the time of the crash
  • The bar, store, restaurant or social host who provided alcohol to the driver when the driver was “visibly intoxicated” or underage
  • The mechanic who made faulty repairs to the driver’s car or your car.

Truitt Law Offices can also explore whether an auto manufacturer or automotive parts manufacturer should be held liable based on a defective tire, brake, steering column, ignition switch or other flaw that contributed to your crash.

In some instances, a government agency or its contractor may be liable for failing to properly design and/or maintain a road or to set up a safe highway construction zone.


What Can You Recover in a Car Accident Claim in Indiana?

As Truitt Law Offices works on your car accident claim, the two main factors that will determine the amount you can recover in damages will be:

  • The extent of physical, emotional and financial harm you have suffered
  • The amount of available insurance coverage.

Depending on the circumstances of your auto accident, you may be entitled to compensation for:

  • All related past and future medical expenses
  • Loss of past wages
  • Diminished earning capacity
  • Physical and emotional suffering
  • Permanent scarring
  • Loss of companionship and funeral expenses (in the event of the wrongful death of a loved one).

If there is “clear and convincing evidence” that the driver who injured you was grossly negligent – a standard that may be met in a drunk driving accident case – our firm may also seek punitive damages on your behalf.

In most cases, damages are sought through the at-fault driver’s liability insurance policy.
Under Indiana law, drivers must carry liability coverage in the following minimum amounts:

  • $25,000 bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 bodily injury per accident (when more than one person is harmed)
  • $10,000 property damage per accident.

However, in some situations, it may be necessary to seek a recovery of your damages through your own insurance coverage.
The two policies that most often play a role in Indiana car accident claims are:

  • Uninsured Motorist (UM) – When the at-fault driver flees the scene and cannot be found (hit-and-run accident) or lacks any insurance.
  • Underinsured Motorist (UIM) – When the at-fault driver’s insurance fails to cover all of your losses.

You should know that, under Indiana law, any new auto insurance policy should include UM/UIM coverage in the
following minimum amounts unless you have rejected the coverage in writing:

  • $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident – UM – Bodily injury
  • $10,000 per accident – UM – Property damage
  • $50,000 per accident – UIM – Bodily injury.

As explained above, it will also be important to seek compensation from any other parties who may be liable for your accident.
If no insurance coverage is available, a recovery may be sought from the at-fault party’s personal assets.

In some cases, the insurance company may try to diminish or deny your claim by asserting that your own negligence contributed to your crash.

Under Indiana law, you can be barred from a recovery if you are 50 percent or more at fault. If you are 50 percent or less at fault, you can recover damages. However, your damages would be reduced according to the percentage of fault assigned to you.

An Indiana vehicle accident lawyer can help protect your rights if the insurance company tries to place undue blame on you.


How Much Time Do You Have to File an Indiana Car Accident Claim?

In Indiana – like many other states – you must file a car accident lawsuit within a certain period of time. This is called the statute of limitations. Contact a Truitt Car Accident Attorney Today!

Generally speaking, you will have two years from the date of your auto accident in which to file a personal injury claim. If you are filing a wrongful death claim due to the loss of a loved one in a crash, you would have two years from the date of the death. Exceptions can apply to these rules that extend or shorten the time in which to take legal action.

You should contact an automobile accident attorney at Truitt Law Offices as soon as you are ready to take action after a car accident. We can review your case and determine the amount of time which is available to you in which to file a claim.

Get Help from Our Fort Wayne Auto Accident Attorneys

Car accident claim? If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a car accident, don’t wait to seek help from an experienced auto accident lawyer at Truitt Law Offices. We work with crash victims and their families in Fort Wayne, Huntington and across Northeastern Indiana.

Make your first call your only call. Connect with us now for a free consultation.

American Association for Justice
indiana trial lawyers
Brain Injury Associates of Indiana

Truitt Law Offices

6009 Stoney Creek Drive
Fort Wayne, IN 46825
United States (US)
Phone: 260-471-1022

260-471-1022Free Consultation

Call Us for Immediate Help