Skip to content
COVID-19 Update: Hire Us from the Comfort of Your Own Home - DETAILS HERE
Call Now 800-628-2904 Free Consultation Available 24/7


Fort Wayne Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyers

When you entrust a nursing home with the care of your parent or other elderly family member, you should not have to worry that your loved one will suffer mistreatment. Unfortunately, nursing home abuse and neglect commonly occurs in Fort Wayne, Huntington and throughout Northeastern Indiana, leaving families with feelings of grief and betrayal of their trust.

However, if you suspect that a nursing home has abused or neglected your elderly loved one, you should not be left with a feeling that you are powerless. You can – and should – take steps today to protect your family member and seek full and fair compensation for your family. By standing up for your loved one, you can also protect other families from facing similar harm.

To learn more what you can do about nursing home abuse and neglect, contact Truitt Law Offices today and receive a free consultation about your case.

Richard Truitt is an experienced Fort Wayne nursing home abuse and neglect lawyer who has dedicated nearly four decades of his career to helping injury victims and their families. Richard and our legal team will know the way forward in your case and help you to pursue the justice your loved one deserves.

Know the Rights of Indiana Nursing Home Residents

What are the Rights of Indiana Nursing Home Residents?

The Indiana State Department of Health lists the many rights of nursing home residents in our state. They include the right to:

  • Be informed about and exercise their rights.
  • Know about services and financial charges
  • Participate in planning their care and treatment and to refuse treatment.
  • Enjoy privacy and confidentiality of records.
  • Control their finances and maintain their personal belongings.
  • Be free from abuse, neglect, and exploitation, including the use of chemical and physical restraints for purposes of discipline or convenience.
  • Express grievances without fear of reprisal such as a discharge from the facility.
  • Communicate freely with persons of their choice.

You and your loved one should know these rights and take action if you believe a nursing home in Fort Wayne, Huntington or elsewhere in Indiana has violated them. If you have any questions about your loved one’s rights or your rights as a family member, contact Truitt Law Offices.

Keep in mind: Your loved one may be afraid to report a violation of his or her rights or, due to a condition such as Alzheimer’s disease, your loved one may lack the capacity to communicate what has happened. For this reason, you should pay close attention to the care your loved one receives in a nursing home and be proactive when you detect red flags.

Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect

What are the Signs of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect?

You may find it hard to believe that someone would harm your loved one in a nursing home in Indiana. However, if you observe the following signs of abuse and neglect, you should take immediate steps to address the situation:

Physical Abuse in Nursing Home
Physical Abuse

  • Cuts, bruises, fractures, burns or other injuries that the nursing home does not promptly report to your family, which may indicate that the facility is trying to conceal the misconduct of a staff member.
  • Multiple bruises with the same shape or pattern, which may indicate that a staff member has struck your loved one with an object such as a belt.
  • Marks around the ankles or wrists, which could indicate the use of physical restraints for the purpose of discipline or for the staff’s convenience.
  • Bruising around the genital areas, which could be a sign that your loved one is suffering from sexual abuse.

Are you a victim of Emotional Abuse in Nursing Home? Call us today.
Emotional Abuse

  • Insults or threats directed towards other residents, which may indicate that your loved one is being treated the same way when you are not present.
  • Sudden depression, withdrawal, anxiety or other changes in behavior, which may be the product of a caretaker’s verbal insults and other mistreatment.
  • Fear and anxiety around certain staff members, which could be the result of suffering emotional, physical or sexual abuse.

Have you been a victim of Nursing Home Neglect? Contact our expert lawyers.

  • Pressure sores and other infections that do not heal.
  • Sudden weight loss, which may indicate that the nursing home is failing to properly feed your loved one or to assist your loved one with eating.
  • Wandering and elopement from the facility, which is a sign that the nursing home is failing to adequately supervise your loved one or to provide proper security.
  • Dry, flaky skin, which may be a sign that your loved one is suffering from malnourishment or dehydration.
  • Poor physical hygiene such as unwashed hair and dirty clothes and bedding.
  • Development of symptoms that should be addressed by medication, which could indicate that the staff is failing to administer the medication as prescribed or may even be stealing the medication (pain medication theft, in particular, has become a serious problem in Indiana nursing homes).

Are you a victim of Financial Exploitation? Contact Us Now.
Financial Exploitation

  • Disappearance or loss of personal belongings, including clothes, jewelry, keepsakes and other items of value.
  • Unusual financial transactions, including explained or unnecessary credit card charges or withdrawals from a checking or savings account.

At Truitt Law Offices, we understand how traumatizing nursing home abuse and neglect can be for your loved one and your family. When you contact us, we will review what has happened to your loved one and carefully guide you through the process that lies ahead.

Call us If You Suspected Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect

What Steps Can You Take If You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse or Neglect?

You may find that addressing your loved one’s suspected nursing home abuse or neglect is not as overwhelming as it seems at first. You simply need to go through a series of steps. Truitt Law Offices will work closely with you and help you to get through each of those steps, including:

talk with nursing home for abuse or neglectTalking with the nursing home. If you observe signs of nursing home abuse or neglect, you should notify the nursing home in writing of your concerns. If the nursing home ignores your concerns or gives an explanation that fails to satisfy you, then you will likely need to take further action.
Contacting your local ombudsmanContacting your local ombudsman. The Indiana Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program provides local representatives. Your local ombudsman can review and investigate any complaints you have about your loved one’s treatment in a nursing home. You can reach the ombudsman serving Allen and Huntington counties at (877) 523-5362 or (260) 469-3161. You should document any correspondence with the ombudsman.
Report the suspected nursing home abuse or neglect.Reporting the suspected abuse or neglect. If you suspect abuse, neglect or exploitation of an adult, you are also legally required to report it to your local law enforcement agency or to Indiana Adult Protect Services. You can reach APS by filing a report online or by calling the APS hotline at (800) 992-6978.

Our Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyers Can Help You Find Justice.

How Can Our Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyers Help You?

In addition to guiding you through the process of reporting your loved one’s suspected nursing home abuse or neglect, Truitt Law Offices can provide many other services to you. Those services include:

Serving as an advocate for you throughout the investigation in Nursing Home Abuse case.Serving as an advocate for you throughout the investigation of your loved one’s case by state health officials and/or law enforcement. We can keep you updated about the status of that investigation and address any questions or concerns you may have about the investigation.
we conduct our own investigation in nursing home abuse incident.Conducting our own investigation into the incident. As part of that investigation, we can review medical records, facility records, prior complaints or citations, photos and video evidence. We can also interview witnesses, including other residents, staff members and nursing home officials. Our firm may also consult with experts in nursing home care.
File a civil claim that seeks compensation for the physical pain.File a civil claim that seeks compensation for the physical pain, emotional suffering, medical expenses and other harm caused by the nursing home’s wrongful conduct. Our goal will be to identify all parties who should be held responsible, which could include staff members, administrators and the corporation that owns the nursing home. Keep in mind: Although state and federal officials may fine a nursing home or bring criminal charges against the facility’s staff members and/or administrators, the only way to obtain compensation for the harm your loved one has suffered is by filing a personal injury claim.
Contact us today for wrongful death claimIf you have experienced the tragic loss of your loved one, our firm can pursue a wrongful death claim. Although no amount of compensation can adequately replace the loss of a loved one, the grieving process can be aided by financial stability and closure.

Throughout your case, Truitt Law Offices will focus on what is important to you and your loved one. We will always tailor our representation to meet your specific goals.

Contact a Fort Wayne Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Attorney

If you believe that your loved one has suffered abuse or neglect in a nursing home in Fort Wayne, Huntington or elsewhere in Northeastern Indiana, contact Truitt Law Offices without delay. We can provide a free consultation, and we won’t charge a penny unless we secure compensation in your loved one’s personal injury lawsuit or your family’s wrongful death claim. We will work tirelessly to pursue the answers and justice that you deserve.

American Association for Justice
indiana trial lawyers
Brain Injury Associates of Indiana