Fatal motorcycle accidents have dropped in nearly every state. Indiana, however, remains one of the few states where deadly crashes are actually on the rise. As the Governors Highway Safety Association reports, motorcyclist deaths fell by 5.6 percent nationally between 2016 and 2017, but in our state, they rose by 44 percent during that period – the largest spike in the country. Every year, on average, more than 3,000 motorcycle accidents occur on our roads, according to the most recent Indiana traffic crash statistics.
At Truitt Law Offices, we realize how those numbers represent lives that have been tragically changed due to catastrophic injuries suffered while riding or due to the loss of a loved one. We also know that many of those accidents could have been prevented. All too often, they are the results of drivers who fail to share the road safely with motorcyclists.
If someone else’s negligence recently caused you to suffer serious injuries in a motorcycle accident in Fort Wayne, Huntington or elsewhere in northeast Indiana, or if your loved one died in a motorcycle crash, our attorneys can help you to seek the justice and compensation that you deserve. For more than 40 years, our personal injury attorneys at our law firm have protected the rights of motorcyclists and their families, and we are ready to put that experience to work for you. Contact us today and learn more about how we can help you in a free consultation at our motorcycle accident law firm.
- How Can You Protect Your Rights after an Indiana Motorcycle Crash?
- What Are Common Causes of Indiana Motorcycle Accidents?
- What Other Factors Can Cause Motorcycle Accidents in Indiana?
- Who Can Be Held Liable for Your Indiana Accident Injuries?
- How Can a Motorcycle Wreck Attorney in Indiana Help You?
- What Types of Damages Can You Recover After a Motorcycle Injury Claim?
- Does Comparative Negligence Affect Motorcycle Accident Cases in Indiana?
- What Is the Indiana Statute of Limitations for Motorcycle Collisions?
- Should You Carry Uninsured Motorist Coverage on Your Motorcycle?
- Contact Our Fort Wayne Motorcycle Accident Injury Lawyer Today!
How Can You Protect Your Rights after an Indiana Motorcycle Crash?
As you prepare to discuss your case with a knowledgeable and dedicated Fort Wayne motorcycle accident attorney from our law firm, you should do your best to take the following steps:
- See a doctor. If you did not receive emergency treatment, you should get medical attention as soon as possible. A doctor can examine you and determine whether you have suffered hard-to-detect but still highly serious injuries such as a concussion, soft tissue damage or internal bleeding.
- Get a copy of your crash report. Contact the Fort Wayne Police Department, Allen County Sheriff’s Department or other law enforcement agency that responded to your motorcycle accident. You can also order a copy of police reports in Indiana by going to BuyCrash.com.
- Keep everything. Hold on to photos of the accident scene and your injuries, if you have them, and keep all medical bills and receipts of your other out-of-pocket expenses caused by your accident.
- Talk to us before you talk with an insurance company. If a claims adjuster from the other driver’s insurance company calls you, refer the adjuster to us. You should never give a statement or accept a settlement offer until you speak with an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer at Truitt Law Offices first.
What Are Common Causes of Indiana Motorcycle Accidents?
Our investigation will focus on determining the cause of your motorcycle accident. Specifically, we will collect and analyze evidence to determine whether another driver caused the crash due to his or her negligence such as:
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Following too closely (“tailgating”)
- Failing to check mirrors before a turn or lane change
- Trying to share a lane with the motorcycle
- Driving while distracted
- Driving while impaired by alcohol (drunk driving), drugs, or fatigue.
What Other Factors Can Cause Motorcycle Accidents in Indiana?
Although those driver errors are among the most common causes of motorcycle crashes in Fort Wayne and elsewhere in Indiana, our law firm will make sure to explore every possible cause. For instance, in many cases, driver negligence is not to blame for a motorcycle accident. Instead, it is a factor such as:
- Poor road conditions (for example, loose gravel or potholes)
- A defectively designed or manufactured motorcycle part (such as handlebars, brakes, or wheels)
- Faulty repairs by a mechanic (the failure to align a tire, for instance, or to recognize an engine problem or brake failure).
Who Can Be Held Liable for Your Indiana Accident Injuries?
In addition to finding out the cause of the motorcycle accident, Truitt Law Offices will work hard to identify all parties who should be held responsible for your injuries or the loss of your loved one. It is crucial to identify all sources of compensation, which could include:
- A negligent driver who collided with you
- The driver’s employer if the driver was working when the accident happened
- A bar, store, restaurant, or social host who furnished alcohol to a “visibly intoxicated” or underage driver who hit you
- A negligent mechanic who botched the inspection and repair of your bike
- Local officials who failed to maintain the roadway
- The manufacturer of your defective motorcycle or motorcycle parts.
We frequently help clients to bring claims against drivers from other states such as Ohio and Michigan who cause motorcycle accidents while driving through the Fort Wayne and Huntington area.