Fort Wayne Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a hit-and-run accident in Fort Wayne? If so, you may feel hopeless ─ like you don’t have the option to demand justice. Let the experienced hit-and-run accident lawyers at Truitt Law Offices review your case for free and explain your legal options. We have helped many others in these difficult situations, and we stand ready to help you now.
At Truitt Law Offices, our commitment to compassionate service and top-quality representation has earned us an outstanding reputation in the community. Our attorneys have also been recognized by respected organizations such as The National Top 100 Trial Lawyers and Million Dollar Advocates Forum. Let us put our experience and resources to work for you.
For a free consultation with our Fort Wayne Indiana car collision attorneys, call or contact us online today. Our knowledgeable legal team will review your case and answer all of your legal questions. We are available 24/7.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Should I Do After a Hit-and-Run Car Accident in Fort Wayne?
- 2 Who Pays After a Hit-and-Run Accident in Indiana?
- 3 Why Do Drivers Flee the Scene of a Hit-and-Run?
- 4 What Are Common Injuries in Indiana Hit-and-Run Accidents?
- 5 How to Document Evidence and Injuries for Your Case?
- 6 What Compensation is Available After Hit-and-Run Collisions in Fort Wayne, IN?
- 7 Talk to a Fort Wayne Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Now
What Should I Do After a Hit-and-Run Car Accident in Fort Wayne?
Being injured in a car accident, motorcycle accident, or truck accident is traumatic enough. When the person who crashed into you flees the scene, you may feel confused and frustrated. You may not know where to turn for help. Still, there are some steps you can take to protect a potential claim for compensation:
- Contact the police. Report the hit-and-run to the police as soon as possible. Having a report of the incident will be critical for your claim. This will also allow the police to launch an immediate investigation and begin searching for the hit-and-run driver.
- Get medical attention. Follow your doctor’s medical care treatment plan and attend all of the follow-up appointments.
- Save all documentation. Gather all information you have related to the accident, such as photos from the accident scene, medical records, medical receipts, vehicle repair bills, and more. Write down as much information as you can, including details of the accident, the time of day it happened, the weather condition, road conditions, description of the driver, car, and the direction where it came from and fled to.
- Refrain from posting updates on social media. It’s natural to want to share updates about this stressful event on social media. However, the information you post can be taken out of context and used against your case. To protect yourself, stay off of social media until your case is resolved.
- Contact an experienced hit-and-run lawyer. A skilled attorney can begin working on your case immediately to identify all possible sources to compensation. The sooner you talk to a lawyer, the better.
Who Pays After a Hit-and-Run Accident in Indiana?
After a motor vehicle accident, the usual protocol for injured victims is to file a claim against the party who is at fault for the crash. In a hit-and-run accident, if the at-fault driver is located, you may pursue this option. Still, there are other sources of recovery, such as the following insurance coverage options:
- Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage – Indiana requires that all insurance policies include UM coverage, although this type of insurance may be rejected in writing by the insured. UM coverage pays for losses resulting from an accident that involves an uninsured driver or a hit-and-run driver who cannot be found.
- MedPay – If you have MedPay coverage on your policy, it could be used to cover medical costs up to the amount listed on your coverage, no matter who is at fault.
Why Do Drivers Flee the Scene of a Hit-and-Run?
For many people, the idea of fleeing from the scene of an accident is unthinkable. However, there are many reasons drivers do it. The reasons can include panic, lack of insurance, an expired driver’s license or plates, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Unfortunately, in a lot of cases, the reason is just to avoid liability.
What Are Common Injuries in Indiana Hit-and-Run Accidents?
The injuries that result from a hit-and-run accident may vary depending on the type of collision that occurred and the force of the impact. Some of the most common injuries we see include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries, such as whiplash
- Spinal cord damage
- Loss of limbs or amputations
- Broken bones or fractures
- Internal injuries
- Facial injuries, scarring, and disfigurement
- Skin lacerations and avulsions
- Burn injuries
- Hip Injuries
- Knee injuries
How to Document Evidence and Injuries for Your Case?
To pursue full and fair compensation for your injuries, your lawyer will work to gather extensive evidence of what happened and how the crash has affected you. Evidence may include:
- The police report – You may order a copy of the accident report, or our attorneys can do this for you.
- Medical bills – Keep all medical records, receipts, bills, and any documentation sent by your health insurance company.
- Pictures and videos – Save any pictures of the damage to your car and your injuries. Your attorney and the police will also work to collect surveillance footage that may have captured the crash on video.
- Other documentation – Collect all your notes about the accident, any witnesses’ contact information, repair estimates, and pay stubs to illustrate your lost wages.
- Your pain journal – Record your physical pain and mental suffering daily in a journal. This will help illustrate the impact of the accident and your injuries on your life.
What Compensation is Available After Hit-and-Run Collisions in Fort Wayne, IN?
A hit-and-run victim can be compensated for both economic and non-economic losses. This may include:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of wages
- Loss of earning capacity and business opportunities
- Permanent disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of quality of life
If an accident results in a wrongful death, survivors may be able to claim funeral expenses, loss of consortium, and loss of companionship.
Talk to a Fort Wayne Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Now
If you have a serious injury from a crash, our experienced hit-and-run accident attorneys at Truitt Law Offices can help. We’ve been helping accident victims for years, and we will explore all options for compensation and aggressively fight for the justice you deserve. If you want a top accident lawyer with legal experience, call or contact us online for a free, no-obligation consultation today about your injury claim.