What Types of Cases Do We Handle in Indiana?
Although our Fort Wayne personal injury lawyers handle a broad range of cases, the reality is that most of our clients have been hurt in “accidents” of some kind. We call them “accidents” even though another party typically is at fault. We help our clients to pursue compensation for the harm they have suffered.
Due to our focus, our firm has developed extensive experience in cases such as:
- Car Accidents – We work with those who have been injured in collisions involving cars, trucks, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians. We know how each crash involves unique facts and legal issues. We explore all options for compensation.
- Slip & Falls – We have handled a wide array of cases involving slip and falls due to ice and snow, slippery substances, broken stairs, poor lighting and other causes. We have a firm grasp of how Indiana premises law applies to these incidents.
- Construction Site Accidents – We help injured construction workers to explore options that go beyond workers’ compensation benefits. In many cases, workers may be able to sue an at-fault third party – or a non-employer or co-worker.
- Dog Bites – All too often, we see cases in which children have suffered injuries in dog attacks. We know how to navigate Indiana’s dog bite laws and pursue claims for a recovery – typically through the dog owner’s homeowners’ insurance.
- Medical Malpractice – Some of the most devastating “accidents” involve medical errors. Our firm helps those harmed by emergency room errors, surgical errors, medication errors, misdiagnoses and birth injuries.
- Defective Drugs & Medical Devices – Many medical products cause dangerous side effects and complications. Unfortunately, drug and medical device manufacturers do not always adequately warn doctors and patients about risks.
- Toxic Tort – We assist those who have suffered injury and illness due to needless exposure to hazardous chemicals, discarded medical products, pesticides and other toxic waste.
With an academic background in science, attorney Richard Truitt has a keen understanding of the serious injuries that our clients have suffered and how those injuries have affected their lives. Our firm has worked with clients with injuries such as traumatic brain injury, spinal injury, burn injury and more.
We also assist families with filing wrongful death claims after they have lost a loved one due to the negligence of another.
What Steps Should You Take If You Were in an Accident?
As you move forward after an accident in Fort Wayne, we suggest that you take the following steps:
- Seek medical help. Go to your doctor or the emergency room. You should be thoroughly checked for injuries and start treatment without any undue delay.
- Collect potential evidence. Gather and store any copies of accident scene photos, witness contact information, medical bills and insurance company letters.
- Get a copy of your accident report. If you were involved in an auto accident, you will want to get a copy of the police crash report. You can buy a copy of the report if you go through BuyCrash.com or through the local law enforcement agency which responded to your crash and prepared the report such as the Fort Wayne Police Department or Allen County Sheriff’s Department. At Truitt Law Offices, we can make getting a copy of your report easier for you. Simply contact us about your case, and we will provide you with a free copy.
- Decline to speak with the insurance company. You may need to report your accident to your insurance company, or you may be contacted by the other party’s insurer. In either case, stick to the facts and do not give a recorded statement until you meet with us.
- Write a summary of the accident. When you have a moment to spare, jot down a summary of everything you can remember from the accident. Also, try to write down a description of how the accident and your injuries have impacted you.
When you are ready to pursue a claim, Truitt Law Offices will be ready to help you. Simply reach out to us by phone or through our convenient online form.
How Can Our Fort Wayne, Indiana Lawyers Help You?
If you or a loved one has been harmed by another person’s negligent or reckless conduct, our goal at Truitt Law Offices will be to keep you from being victimized a second time by the insurance claims process.
We will thoroughly investigate and carefully prepare your case for settlement discussions with the insurance company (or companies).
If necessary, we will be prepared to file a lawsuit and pursue your case in the proper state court. If your accident occurred in Fort Wayne, that court would be:
In some situations, a claim must be filed in a federal court. In Northeast Indiana, that court would be:
Whether through a settlement or verdict, our goal will be to recover full compensation for your past and future medical expenses, lost income, diminished earning capacity, pain and suffering and more. We can advise you on any settlement offers and steer your case through all options you wish to pursue.
Get In Touch with Our Attorneys Today
Through nearly four decades, those seeking professional and compassionate legal assistance in Fort Wayne after an accident or injury have known they can count on Truitt Law Offices. We are ready to go to work for you today. Call or connect with us online today for a free review of your case.