Fort Wayne Head-On Collision Lawyer
Head-on collisions are rarely minor car accidents. Because they typically occur at a high rate of speed, they often produce catastrophic injuries. As a result, victims can be left with overwhelming medical expenses, missed time at work, and a host of other serious problems. Their lives may never be the same.
At Truitt Law Offices, we are here to help. For more than 40 years, we have protected the rights of car crash victims in Fort Wayne and throughout Indiana. We listen to our clients and take the time to understand not only how their crash happened but also how it has impacted their lives. We want to make things right.
If someone else’s negligence caused a head-on crash that caused you to suffer serious injuries, you can count on us to aggressively pursue all compensation that you are due. Call or reach us online today for a free consultation. We can review your case and discuss how we can help you to move forward.
What Should You Do After a Head-On Collision in Fort Wayne?
If you were recently involved in a head-on collision in the Fort Wayne area, you should do your best to take the following steps:
- Get medical attention. If you do not receive medical care treatment at the scene, you should see a doctor immediately in order to get checked for injuries. A head-on crash can cause serious injuries, including traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, soft tissue damage, internal bleeding, and other injuries that may not be immediately apparent. Seeing a doctor will protect your health as well as your ability to pursue just compensation.
- Gather evidence. Collect and keep everything related to the crash, including accident scene photos, eyewitness contact information, medical bills, car repair bills, and letters or e-mails from the insurance company.
- Get a copy of the accident report. The police officer who responded to the crash will prepare a report. You should order a copy of the police report once it becomes available. If you have any difficulty getting a copy, we will help you to obtain one.
- Don’t talk with the other driver’s insurance company. Although you should report the head-on collision to your own insurance company, you do not need to speak with the other driver’s insurer. Talk with a lawyer before you give any statement to the insurer or accept a settlement offer.
How Can a Lawyer Help You After a Head-On Collision?
The most important step that you can take after a head-on collision is to get help from an experienced car accident lawyer at Truitt Law Offices. We will take immediate steps to protect your right to recover full and fair compensation, including:
- Helping you to get your car repaired or replaced
- Conducting an immediate investigation into how the crash happened
- Calculating the potential damages available to you
- Aggressively pursuing a full and fair settlement on your behalf
- Fighting for you in court if a trial is necessary.
Our goal is to keep you from becoming a victim, again, when you deal with insurance companies or pursue your case in court. We want to make sure that you are treated fairly, and are not short-changed by the system. When you work with Truitt Law Offices, your case will be our top priority.
Why Do Head-On Collisions Occur?
Two cars should never drive directly at each other. If this type of crash occurs, it is almost always because someone made a careless or reckless mistake such as:
- Going the wrong way down a one-way street
- Crossing the center line or overcorrecting after drifting off the road
- Rear-ending a vehicle, which sends it into an approaching car
- Losing control of the vehicle after driving at a dangerously fast speed.
In many situations, the underlying problem is that a driver was impaired by alcohol, drugs, or lack of sleep, or the driver was talking on a cell phone or texting while driving (distracted driving). Additionally, head-on collisions can occur due to an automotive defect or a poorly designed or maintained road.
How Can You Prove Fault for a Head-On Collision?
At Truitt Law Offices, we will launch a prompt investigation into your head-on accident in order to determine the cause of the crash and who was at fault. As part of our investigation, we will gather and study evidence such as:
- Photos from the crash site
- A physical inspection of the crash site and vehicles
- Surveillance camera or dash-cam footage
- Statements from drivers, passengers, and eyewitnesses
- Black box data
- Cell phone records
- Vehicle maintenance records
- Breath, blood, or urine test results.
Our investigation might reveal that driver negligence, a mechanical failure, or a hazardous road condition contributed to the crash. Additionally, multiple parties beyond the driver might be liable. For example, if you were in a head-on collision with a drunk driver, the bar that over-served the driver may share liability. Our goal will be to identify every party who is responsible for your crash and your injuries in order to maximize your compensation.
What Damages Can You Recover After a Head-On Collision?
There is no “average” settlement for a head-on collision. The amount which you may recover through a settlement or verdict will depend on the specific facts and circumstances of your case, including the severity of your injuries and the amount of insurance coverage.
Compensation may cover damages such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced ability to earn future income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss companionship
- Wrongful death damages (if your loved one died in the crash)
- Punitive damages (in exceptional cases).
At Truitt Law Offices, we will listen to you. We want to know what is important to you and understand how your accident has affected your life. Our goal will be to seek the justice and compensation that you deserve.
Is there a Time Limit for Filing a Head-on Car Accident Lawsuit in Indiana?
Yes, there is. For personal injury claims, such as a head-on car crash, the time limit is two years. If your claim is not filed within that two-year time frame, you will most likely lose your chance to have your lawsuit heard in court.
Get Help from an Experienced Fort Wayne Head-On Collision Attorney
With offices in Fort Wayne as well as Huntington and Indianapolis, Truitt Law Offices can meet with you right away to discuss your head-on collision. Contact us now to get started. Our consultations are always free, and you will owe us nothing unless we secure compensation for you.