Indianapolis Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
What Are The Top Causes for Motorcycle Accidents in Indianapolis?
In Indiana, many motorcycle accidents are caused by the failure of a car or truck driver to see you on your bike. However, there are many other causes of motorcycle accidents in Indianapolis. They include:
- A car or truck following you too close and tailgating
- A motor vehicle not yielding the right of way to you while you are riding your motorcycle
- A motor vehicle may attempt to pass you too closely
- Some drivers of motor vehicles may make the choice to try to intimidate you while you are riding your motorcycle.
Sometimes, Indianapolis motorcycle accidents could be caused by a defectively designed or manufactured brake gear or tire. If you or a loved one is involved in an Indiana motorcycle accident due to a defective part, the manufacturer of the motorcycle may be held liable for your accident.
Table of Contents
What Damages Are Available in an Indiana Motorcycle Accident Claim?
If you or a loved one was injured in a motorcycle accident in Indianapolis or anywhere in Indiana through no part of your own, you may be able to recover damages. They include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Past and future lost wages as well as impaired earning capacity.
- Disfigurement and/or scarring
- Loss of consortium
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Punitive Damages. Punitive damages may only be available if the person who was at fault for your injuries acted in a malicious manner.
Even if you are found to be partially at fault for your motorcycle accident, you may still be able to recover damages. Under Indiana’s contributory negligence law, if you were found to be 50% or less at fault, your damages will be reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault.
However, if you are found to be 51% or more at fault for your motorcycle accident, you may be barred from recovering any damages. In some cases, however, the Truitt Law Offices in Indianapolis may be able to use their investigative abilities to convince the insurance company to reverse their denial of your claim.
What Is the Indiana Insurance Coverage for Motorcycle Accidents?
Once liability has been established and your damages from the motorcycle accident have been assessed, then you can determine what insurance coverage is available. The insurance policies involved in your Indianapolis motorcycle accident may include:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability. In Indiana, all motorists are required to have this type of coverage. It pays for damages that you caused in the event of an accident. If an automobile driver caused your Indianapolis motorcycle accident, that driver’s insurance company would be the first place to start to recover damages.
- Underinsured motorist coverage. This is a type of insurance you can purchase from your own insurance company in Indiana. You can use this coverage if the driver that caused your Indiana motorcycle accident doesn’t have enough liability insurance to compensate you fairly.
- Uninsured motorist coverage. This type of coverage you can purchase from your own Indiana insurance company. You should have this type of coverage unless you have rejected it at the time you purchased your Indiana insurance policy. If the at-fault driver caused your Indianapolis motorcycle accident and doesn’t have any insurance, this coverage will kick in.
In addition, you may be able to recover money to pay for the damage to your motorcycle if you purchased:
- Collision coverage. This type of coverage will pay for damages that resulted from the impact with another object such as a tree, car, or pole.
- Comprehensive coverage. This coverage pays for your losses due to things such as wind, rain, theft, or an accident with a deer or other animal.
- Custom parts and equipment coverage. This will cover a portion of the damage to any custom parts on your motorcycle.
Is There a Statute of Limitations for an Indianapolis Motorcycle Accident Claim?
Yes, there is a statute of limitations. A statute of limitations sets a time limit on how long you have to file your injury lawsuit. For the state of Indiana, that time limit is two years. Should you not file your lawsuit before that time expires, you will have lost your chance to have your lawsuit heard in court,=. While two years may seem like a long time, thee is much research that needs to be done for our law firm to investigate your motorcycle accident. We will need to interview witnesses, collect accident reports, police reports, and more. More time means better preparation.
Visit our Indianapolis Motorcycle Accident Law Offices
Contact an Indianapolis Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
While you are recovering from your injuries after an Indianapolis motorcycle accident, the Truitt Law Offices can work with all the insurance companies involved to recover a full and fair settlement in your case. It’s important to remember that some insurance companies do not make a fair offer to settle your Indianapolis motorcycle accident, and the Indianapolis Personal Injury attorneys at Truitt Law Offices will be a strong advocate for you in court to fight for the fair and just compensation you deserve. We’re just a phone call away. Call us or contact us as soon as possible.