Truitt Law Office
Fort Wayne and all of Indiana
Man’s best friend can provide companionship and enrich our lives in countless ways. However, when a dog bites another individual, your best friend may cause you immense financial burden.
Approximately 5 million dog bites occur annually in the United States alone. Shockingly, most happen on the owner’s property, and victims, who are primarily children, are typically friends or family of the owner. When dog bites occur and personal injury inflicted, you need a dog bite attorney who can obtain compensation for your damages.
Injuries Due to Dog Bites
Unfortunately, dog bites can cause physical and emotional scarring. Since the majority of victims are children, they may require psychological counseling and be fearful of dogs their entire lives.
Physical harm from animal attacks may include:
Compensation for Dog Bite Injuries
If the attack was unprovoked, dog bite victims may be entitled to compensation for all related damages, which may include:
- Counseling for mental trauma
- Property damage
- Loss of earnings
- All related medical bills, such as emergency room fees, hospitalization expenses, medications, and ambulance fees
- Reconstructive surgery in the event of scarring
- Diminished earning potential
Ensuring Your Compensation After a Dog Bite
The scene of a dog bite can be chaotic and stressful as damages are assessed. Emotions often run high as parents attempt to calm injured children and rush to medical facilities for treatment.
During this hectic time, it is essential to remain calm and take appropriate steps in order to safeguard potential compensation:
- Photograph injuries, the attack site, clothing worn and the accused dog
- Report the attack to police and local animal control office
- Exchange personal information with the dog’s owner and any witnesses
- Immediately seek medical attention
- Keep a diary of related events and medical costs
If you or someone you love has suffered a dog bite injury in the Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, or Indiana area, personal injury attorney Richard Truitt of Truitt Law Offices has the experience and skills needed to obtain compensation for your damages. Please contact our personal injury office online or call us at 800-628-2904 to schedule your free interview. Make your first call your only call.