Columbia City, Indiana Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident in Columbia City can throw your life into chaos. You may suddenly find yourself dealing with serious injuries, medical bills and lost income due to your inability to work. While the situation may be daunting, you should know that you can turn to the experienced and dedicated personal injury lawyers of Truitt Law Offices to help you to get through this challenging time and pursue all compensation that you are due.
For more than 40 years, Truitt Law Offices has protected the rights of car accident victims and their families in Columbia City, IN and throughout Whitley County. We focus on what’s important to our clients, and we aggressively pursue their goals. To discuss how we can help you to fight for all compensation that you are due, call or reach us online today. We can provide a timely and free consultation about your case.
Table of Contents
- 1 How Can a Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyer Help You?
- 2 What Should You Do After a Car Wreck in Indiana?
- 3 What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents in Indiana?
- 4 What Damages Can You Recover in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
- 5 How Much Time Do You Have in Indiana to File a Car Accident Claim?
- 6 Our Columbia City, IN Personal Injury and Car Accident Attorneys Can Help
How Can a Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyer Help You?
When you work with Truitt Law Offices, our personal injury attorneys can assist you in a variety of ways. You can count on us to:
- Conduct an immediate investigation – An investigation will determine how your crash happened and who was at fault. We will work quickly to preserve, collect and study evidence such as accident scene photos, video footage, black box data, cell phone records and toxicology test results.
- Consult with knowledgeable experts – Our lawyers have an extensive network of experts that we can consult with about your accident, including medical experts and accident reconstruction professionals.
- Calculate your damages – We will know how to fully evaluate your damages, including medical expenses, lost income and non-economic damages such as pain and suffering and emotional distress.
- Communicate with the insurance company – Insurance companies are notoriously difficult to deal with after an accident. We will take over this communication while you recover from your injuries.
- Demand a full and fair settlement – Insurance companies do not want to pay for your full damages after a crash. Because of our thorough preparation of your case, we will be ready to demand the amount you are due.
- Fight for you in court – If the insurance company fails to make a settlement offer that meets your needs, your lawyer from Truitt Law Offices will be ready to go to court to pursue just compensation for you.
- Resolve all other pressing issues – Whether you need help getting your car repaired or replaced or find yourself getting hassled by medical bill collectors, we will be there to assist you.
At Truitt Law Offices, our clients are always our top priority. We will listen closely to you throughout your case. Everything we do will be focused on meeting your goals.
What Should You Do After a Car Wreck in Indiana?
The steps you take following a car crash in Columbia City will be important for your claim. Some of the most crucial steps you can take include:
- Get immediate medical attention – Your health should be your main concern after a crash. Also, seeing a doctor will document your injuries and help to establish your claim.
- Get a copy of the police accident report – A copy of the accident report will provide important information about your case. We can help you to get a copy of the report, or you can order a copy on your own by going through the Columbia City Police Department, Whitley County Sheriff’s Office or BuyCrash.com.
- Notify your insurance company – Even if you were not at fault for the crash, your insurance policy likely requires that you notify the company after an accident.
- Do not talk with any other insurance company – Your lawyer at Truitt Law Offices can handle all communication with the insurance company on your behalf. You want to avoid saying or doing anything which could hurt your ability to collect full and fair compensation.
- Gather everything related to your accident – You may have many documents, pictures, medical records and communications with the insurance company after a crash. Collect these materials and keep them in a safe place.
- Contact our law firm – Personal injury claims are extremely complicated. However, our legal team will carefully guide you through the entire process.
At Truitt Law Offices, we represent all of our personal injury clients on a contingency fee basis. So, you will pay no costs or fees unless we secure a financial recovery for you through a settlement or verdict.
What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents in Indiana?
Indiana is a fault state. When a driver causes a crash, that driver’s insurance company should be responsible for paying compensation for the harm that its insured driver caused. A few of the most common causes of these crashes include:
- Speeding and aggressive driving
- Making unsafe turns and lane changes
- Failing to yield
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Fatigued driving
Truitt Law Offices can also investigate whether a defective tire, brake, steering column, ignition switch or other flaw contributed to your crash. In some cases, a government agency may be liable for failing to properly design or maintain a road or to set up a safe highway construction zone.
What Damages Can You Recover in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Truitt Law Offices will take the time to find out how your accident and injuries have affected your life, including your ability to work and earn a living. We will also gather your medical records and consult with experts in fields such as life-care planning in order to calculate the amount of damages which you are due. Those damages could include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
How Much Time Do You Have in Indiana to File a Car Accident Claim?
Indiana, like all other states, has a statute of limitations that applies to personal injury claims. This is the amount of time that you will have to file your claim. In Indiana, the time limit is two years from the date of your injuries. If you file a claim after the statute of limitations has expired, you will likely be barred from receiving any compensation.
Our Columbia City, IN Personal Injury and Car Accident Attorneys Can Help
If you have been hurt in a crash in Columbia City, speak with one of our experienced car accident attorneys at Truitt Law Offices as soon as possible. We will take care of every aspect of your claim while you focus on your health. Contact us now to schedule your free case evaluation.