A worker is injured and needs workers compensation in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

If you suffer a work-related injury or illness, or if your loved one dies in a workplace accident, you should be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. Contact our Fort Wayne workers’ compensation lawyer today.

Most employers in Fort Wayne, Huntington, and throughout Indiana must carry this insurance. It provides benefits that include:

  • Coverage of all reasonable and necessary medical treatment
  • Compensation for wages you lose due to your disability
  • Compensation for the loss or loss of use of a body part
  • Death benefits, including funeral expenses, if you lose a loved one.

Unfortunately, as we have seen over the years at Truitt Law Offices, employers and insurers in Fort Wayne, Indiana often deny valid workman’s comp claims. We help workers to overcome those obstacles and pursue the benefits that they and their families deserve. We also explore compensation for our clients that goes beyond what workers’ compensation provides.

For nearly four decades, workers’ compensation attorney Richard Truitt and our legal team at Truitt Law Offices have protected the rights of injured and ill workers in Fort Wayne and surrounding areas in Indiana. We always focus on what is important to our clients and tailor our representation to meet their unique, specific goals.

If you run into problems with your Indiana workers’ compensation claim, contact our workers’ compensation lawyers in Fort Wayne to discuss how we can help you. Our consultations are always free, and we won’t charge you a dime unless we secure benefits for you.

How a Fort Wayne Workers’ Compensation Lawyer Can Help You

Paperwork for a workers compensation claim in Fort Wayne, Indiana. On its face, the Indiana workers’ compensation system seems simple enough: You get hurt on the job and tell your employer. The employer’s insurer, in turn, pays the benefits that Indiana law entitles you to receive.

However, more often than not, workers find the workers’ compensation claims process to be difficult and confusing. You can try to tackle this challenge on your own. However, you will serve your best interests by working with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney. This is especially true if your employer:

  • Fails to carry workers’ compensation insurance required by law
  • Delays reporting your injury or illness to the Indiana Workers’ Compensation Board (or fails to report it at all)
  • Claims you are an independent contractor and not an employee
  • Refuses to pay for your reasonable and necessary medical care
  • Denies that your injury or illness arose in the course of your employment
  • Alleges that your intoxication or horseplay caused your injury.

To pursue workers’ compensation benefits in Indiana, you must follow highly technical rules that apply to claims and the evidence you present in support of a claim. You need to review and understand medical records. You may also need to consult with medical and vocational experts.

While you focus on your recovery, a workers comp lawyer from Truitt Law Offices can take care of all those matters for you. The attorney can also explain the process to you and answer any questions you may have about your case. To learn more about the services our attorneys can provide, give our law firm a call today.

What Should You Do If You Get Injured on the Job in Indiana?

If you work in construction, manufacturing, agriculture, or manufacturing, you certainly face a lot of risks on the job. However, you can suffer harm in any line of work. As long as your injury or illness arose in the course and scope of your employment – or your work aggravated an existing condition – the Indiana workers’ compensation system should cover you.

Some of the most common workplace injuries and illnesses that lead to benefits claims in Indiana involve:

  • Repetitive trauma injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome
  • Exposure to hazardous chemicals or other toxic materials such as asbestos
  • Psychological damage from witnessing a traumatic event (PTSD).

If you get involved in a workplace accident, you should seek medical treatment right away. If you need emergency treatment, you do not need to get your employer’s pre-approval of the doctor or hospital. However, you will need to get approval for future treatment.

Additionally, you should report your injury to your employer within 30 days after it occurs. If you fail to do so, the employer may deny your claim. You should give the notice in writing or otherwise follow your company’s reporting rules.