Fort Wayne Burn Injury Lawyers
A burn injury is one of the most psychologically and physically scarring injuries an individual can sustain. Related medical bills can quickly stockpile, as one seeks recovery in a hospital, counseling for trauma, and/or cosmetic surgery to restore facial and body aesthetics.
Causes of Burn Injuries
Contrary to popular belief, the majority of burns do not occur in home fires. Instead, some of the most common causes of burn injuries include:
- Traffic accidents
- Gas explosions
- Chemical burns
- Contact with scalding water
Degrees of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries result in 3.5 million injuries and/or deaths each year in America. Some burns require little medical assistance, while others may necessitate years of rehabilitation.
Burn injuries are classified into three categories depending on severity:
- First degree – These are the least severe, do not require hospitalization, and rarely result in the filing of charges against a negligent party. Burns of this nature only result in irritated red skin.
- Second degree – Blisters and scars form due to damaging of underlying skin and nerves.
- Third degree – Skin is completely destroyed and requires the expertise of a surgeon to surgically graft replacement skin.
While a first degree burn is relatively mild, serious burn injuries can cause damage beyond what is visible to the eye, including circulatory problems, organ damage, nerve damage, respiratory complications, and even death.
Burn Injury Compensation
If another party’s negligence or misconduct resulted in an individual sustaining a burn, a skilled burn injury attorney like Richard Truitt, can obtain compensation for the full extent of your damages, including:
- Related medical bills, such as ambulance costs, hospital fees, medication, and reconstructive surgery
- Loss of wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Permanent scarring
- Lower quality of life
- Loss of companionship and funeral expenses, in the event of a fatal burn injury
- Psychological care
- Physical and emotional trauma
Personal injury attorney Richard Truitt of Truitt Law Offices has extensive experience handling burn injury cases for the citizens of Fort Wayne, Indianapolis, and Indiana. If you or a loved one has suffered a burn injury, please contact our personal injury office online or call us at (800) 628-2904 to schedule your free interview. We operate on a contingency basis, which means you do not pay a penny unless we recover compensation for your damages. Make your first call, your only call.