What types of Indiana wrongful death compensation can beneficiaries recover?
Generally, you can seek compensation in a wrongful death lawsuit that includes:
- Medical and hospital expenses
- Funeral, burial and other expenses arising from the death
- Loss of money, services and other materials benefits
- Loss of love, care and affection
- Costs of bringing the wrongful death claim, including attorney fees.
An attorney can compile evidence that supports the amount of damages sought in a wrongful death claim, including bills, receipts, and statements of those people impacted by the death. The lawyer can also consult with experts such as economists in order to arrive at the amount. If a claim is brought under the AWDA, there is a $300,000 cap on damages awarded for loss of love and companionship.